Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Sustainability!

I will now tell you a little more about what I'll be doing. "Self reliance and sustainability" are the buzz words around here. I'm not just here to teach, network, and fix things. What's going to happen after I leave? Well, hopefully not what happened to the high school I'll be at after the last volunteer left. Even though there's supposedly already a computer teacher at the high school, the computer lab hasn't really been running since the last volunteer left 8 months ago (he/she ETed(left early)).

I plan on getting everything up and running as quickly as possible, but I want to make sure my Gambian counterpart understands how I'm doing everything. I will hand over the reigns little by little until they're completely running the show. At least thats what I want to happen. Same thing goes for my other projects. If I get a database or network up and running, and no one understands how to fix, change, or use it after I leave.. it will be disasterous. The goal is to allow them to function without Peace Corps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home