Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Fiasco


It all began in December of 2005 when I decided to apply for the Peace Corps. After a rather lengthy application process (refer to highly technical and precise figure 1.1), I was nominated to go to the Caribbean in July. Eventually, I received my invitation for Guyana (kind of Caribbean?). I was originally supposed to leave for there in early June. Much to my surprise and dismay, our training group was cancelled because of potential civil unrest due to upcoming political elections. It was a rather devastating blow to hear this news because I was very excited for the geography and culture and had been learning and reading all about it since I received my invitation. I picked myself up fast and received another invite for The Gambia. I'm extremely excited for this assignment, but I still miss Guyana even though I never went there. At least now when I tell people where I'm going they are correct in assuming the country is located in Africa. It sounds like I'll be working, teaching, training, or possibly all 3 in Information Technology in the Gambian educational system. I'll be departing from Pierre, SD for Philadelphia for staging on July 2nd.

Where I'm now going and where I was going:









5 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger Todd said...

hey man good to hear from you. we're gonna have a great time with the group we've already started. i can't wait to get there

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Becca said...

Welcome to the group Evan!!! Sounds like you have had quite the whirl wind experience with country assignment. Glad to have you in our Gambia group and I can't wait to meet everyone in Philly in a only a few short weeks!

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Evan,

You may not remember us, but Merlyn and I will be praying for you on your assignment. And I'll be living vicariously through your experience :) When I went to college I fully intended to join the Peace Corps. All these years later, I still haven't done it. I also work in IT and it's nice to see that it can be segued into a Peace Corps assignment. We're proud of you!

DeAnn Hilmoe

 
At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evan,

Thank you choosing to volunteer with the U.S. Peace Corps!

A link to your online journal of life in The Gambia has recently been added to:

http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

Features:
1. Contains over 1,300 journals and blogs from Peace Corps Volunteers serving around the world.
2. Each country has its own detailed site that can directly linked to, and which are easily accessible with a possible slow Internet connection within the field.
3. Detailed map for every country that becomes interactive, via Google, once clicked on.
4. Detailed information for each country is available through following one of four links at the bottom of each map.
5. The sponsor is someone who cares about volunteers' health.
6. The main page is user-friendly. There are regional-specific pull-down menus to select your country of choice.
7. Clicking on the actual word of the region brings to an encyclopedia article on that region.
8. Links to Graduate Schools and RPCVs Regional Associations.
9. A list of the entire staff of Peace Corps worldwide, with contact information, is available on every country-specific page.
10. There is an e-mail link on every page. If you want to add a Journal, spotted a dead link, or have a comment.

Enjoy your time in The Gambia!

-Mike Sheppard
RPCV / The Gambia
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Evan, this is your Aunt Kathy. It is great to hear all about your adventures in the Peace Corp. I can't wait for your next entry in your blog. I pray for you EVERY day ! Love you MUCHO.
Auntie Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home