Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Roosters, Prayer Calls, and Footballs


This will be my last post for at least 8 weeks. On Saturday we're leaving the Banjul area, and I'll be going to a Wolof village to live and learn. The village I'm going to according to many volunteers is "the best in the country." It was given the "Cleanest Village in the Country Award" by President Jammeh, but he also announced in a speech the other day that "The Gambia is a Superpower." It was in reference to successfully holding the African Union Summit here the other week. It's been a nice change lately waking up in the morning to roosters and Muslim prayer calls. It's a relaxing alternative to the unpleasant buzzing of alarm clocks. The Muslims and Christians here live very peacefully amongst each other. They live side by side, go to each other's funerals and ceremonies, and work together all in harmony. Gambians are very accepting of other people, religions, and cultures. But they're also very set in their own. The beach was wonderful the other day. We were throwing around a frisbee for a while, and then some boys came over to us and kicked a soccer ball at us because they wanted us to play with them. So they showed us a few things about soccer, and I tried to teach them how to throw a frisbee. Great cross-cultural experience. Well, once again there are many people waiting to use the internet, so I have to keep this short. I have a lot more to say, and that time will come when I get more of it down. Here's a picture from the beach.. it was also The World Cup Championship Day.. lots of footballers out.

3 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger jocelyn said...

hey! i hope you have a great time and enjoy every minute!

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, big guy: I had to go to Onida for a July 3 funeral, so I went July 2, hoping you were still in Pierre. Obviously I missed you by a matter of hours. Damn! Send me a quick note when you're back in touch in another 7 weeks or so. I promise I'll keep in close touch these next 2 years. Take care of yourself, my friend. I'm proud of you and admire you.

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have alot of Fun, und says hello!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home