Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Change of Seasons


The "cold season" has come. Which means nothing more than sometimes you need a blanket at night, and you don't sweat as much during the day. I'm learning to judge the temperature by the amount that I sweat, but I have no idea what the actual temperature is. I've been told that it gets below a frigid 75 degrees now at night. My scale is as follows: it's either really (explicitly) hot, really hot, hot, pretty hot, warm, and kind of warm. I refuse to add cold to my temperature scale. The next time a Gambian tells me that it's cold I'll bring them to North Dakota for a winter and expose them to -60 windchill. I saw someone wearing something similar to a heavy North Face down coat the other day when it was around 75 degrees. After I leave here, I will have experienced all the extremities and ridiculousness temperature has to offer.

If there's any truth in the saying "you are what you eat," I will soon become a giant piece of rice with limbs made of peanuts. I'm amazed at the amount of rice I'm tolerating. It's pretty good actually, and there's so many different ways of preparing it. The food is a bit more spicy and flavourful here than I expected it would be. I haven't grown tired yet of freshly roasted peanuts (formerly a good cash crop here until the groundnut price plummeted) either. I had a fever of around 102.5 the other night, and all I had the desire to eat was tomato soup and grilled cheese from our old fraternity cook Lorraine (pictured/immortalized on the internet), or of course chicken noodle soup from my mother (sorry, no picture). I definitely haven't lost my taste for American snacks. I devoured the enormous care package my mom sent me with shocking, disgusting, and obesity-like ease. I nearly felt ashamed of myself upon looking in an empty box on Day 3 of my castaway-esque eating binge. I definitely eat plenty here though; don't be surprised if I come back from Africa weighing more. Who gains weight in Africa? I do.

Two weeks ago, night classes started for all the students here. I think the schedule they have now is borderline insane. They go to school from 8 A.M. to 3 P.M., and then they come back at 5 P.M. and stay until 11 P.M. for mandatory studying. Could you imagine that in the U.S.? I don't even think I put that much effort into my college degree. 96.1% of the students last spring failed the English portion of the West African Exam, so this is their solution. It was about the same for Math and Science. None of the students study at home, and some of the parents even forbid their children to study at home, so many people think this is the best way. The importance of high school hasn't quite made it's way into the culture here yet, but many more families are stressing it's importance now than previously. Many students will end up working in their families' fields after they graduate.

I started night classes last week for students that wanted to learn to use the internet. It's going to take a lonnnggg time for everyone to use the internet. I only have 5 computers set up for the internet, there's about 50 students in each class, and I have 5 classes. I take 10 students at a time for 1 hour and that will be the extent of their internet time for 3 weeks, and then they will get another chance when the rotation starts over. My night classes haven't had a very good start. There hasn't been internet here or most of the country for about a week. I tried explaining that if that ever happened in the U.S. hundreds of millions of dollars would be lost, but I don't know how well they grasped that.

4 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Evan, Sorry to hear you were ill and hope your are better. I agree soup and grill cheese is great comfort food when ill. Your parents will be here nov. 23-26. Kelly, Travis and Titian and Hilary and Alex will come too. It has been eons since the family came and the weather promises to be great 50's and 60's and clear.It will be a good time for everyone. I look forward to it. Are you missing the cold ?? and mittens and coats?? I think not.
I am out of news for now and am busy getting ready for your parents.
Love you
Aunt Kathy

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey evan

Mom says Hi, and hopes you feel better.
mom found the dancing with wolfs
on dvd and is geting the lion king for you.
mom is now dipping prezels for your box.
your books and tapes will be in this next box.

one of the buhmans in china, have a box sent to him and he said it looked like it had been ran over.

Alex has a new nickname at school "blackie chan" ( he laughs about it so i guess he cant be that upset)

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Evan
Your parents are in Tulsa and it has been a great visit and your name has come up alot and I can tell your mom misses you. It feels great to spend time with the family after 6 yrs of drought, of not seeing them. We have sooo much to be thankful for this Christmas Season. We all love you and miss you bunches and I hope you know how very much you are LOVED by all your family.....we appreciate all your Peace Corp Service and they are blessed to have you. Anyway this is just to say hello and Happy Holidays to you.Love you Bunches
Aunt Kathy

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Evan,

I finally got around to checking our your blog. Impressive! I am so thrilled you have this opportunity to experience another culture. It was enjoyable reading your blog posts from the past months.

Arizona is finally cooling off a little. Sahana and I actually cooked this Thanksgiving. Prem invited over some food "connoisseurs" that he works with, so I was a little nervous about my cooking!

I'm sorry you were recently ill. I'll try to send you a care package sometime soon and include some "airborne" immunity booster. I have just started using it for the cold and flu season, and also as a teacher. For example, I had a boy vomit on my leg, and NEW shoes last week! (I'm sure you didn't care to know that!)

Take care of yourself, Evan. Sahana and I pray for you every night!
Love,
Kristin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home